Monday, April 8, 2013

How To Line Your Own Curtains Without Having To Sew

Anyone who knows me, know that I don't sew. I don't even own a sewing machine, to be honest. The last time I can actually remember using one was in grade 7 Home Ec. class, where I made bermuda shorts, and two letter pillows that spelled the word "yo". Oh, there was those curtains I made in college, but they turned out horribly wrong, i can sew on buttons, and hand-stitch things, but I don't think I should be licensed to use a sewing machine :)

I found a great deal at my work on curtain panels, but since they were cotton I knew they would fade in the sunlight. Lined curtains can be VERY pricey. So, I devised a way to line them myself without sewing. I purchased 10 cotton grommet curtain panels, 10 light-weight tab-top white panels, and some sticky-back velcro strips. The two different curtain panels need to be the same size - mine were 44 x 84"



My supplies.



I found our good scissors that work great on fabric, and cut the tabs off the white curtains. Then I put the two pieces of velcro together, and cut them into squares (one strip of velcro made 18 squares - enough for 3 panels). I placed the orange curtain down, with the backside facing me. I then put the white curtain on top of it and folded it back a bit. I removed the backing off of one side of a velcro square and placed it below each of the grommets on the orange panel. Next, I lined up the 'liner' curtain, and removed the other side of the backing off the velcro, lined up the curtains using the already existing hem-line under the grommets as a guide, and pressed down. I did each outer edge first, slowly working towards the middle. My liner was a little bit wider from my curtain, so this ensured I wasn't hanging out over an edge.


Lining up the velcro and curtains - thanks to my husband for the brilliant idea of one square per grommet (if you have tab curtains, it would work too - just one square per tab)

That's all there is to it, Now, if I ever need to wash them, I can separate the panels so there is no colour bleeding, and the life of my curtains should be a bit longer. I was able t get my orange curtains for a out $11 a panel, the 'liner' curtains for $4 a panel, and the velcro strips for about $5 each...and they look great!





Leave a little bit of space at the ends - I used the seam as a guide on the top and sides.  a little bit of  'bunching' on the liner is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment