Friday, September 5, 2014

My New Normal...For Now


Well, the mastectomy is done, I'm recovering, and now we wait for the pathology report...2-3 weeks. On Sept. 17th we find out if I need more treatment or procedures, and if my cancer is invasive or not. For now, I work on getting the full use of my arm and shoulder back, and try to get back to normal life...well, a new kind of normal anyway. It's definitely noticeable that I had the surgery done, as I was larger-chested before, and now I'm only half of that. I'm wearing some padding for compression, to help with swelling, but not for looks. Once we have the full report, we'll put the plan into action for reconstruction in about 6 months (so I can get healthy and lose the baby weight), and I'll get  measured for a mastectomy bra and prosthesis.

I discovered something about myself in this process...I discovered that I'm not emotionally tied to my appearance. I haven't had a "break-down-and-cry" moment when I look in the mirror, because I know my worth comes from who I am in Christ, and not in how I look.  


1 Peter 2:9New Living Translation (NLT)

"...for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light."
But, for now, I'm definitely not symmetrical, and I have a hot pink bag to carry my surgical drain around in. Funny thing is, I just got chosen to test a makeup line (thus, the red lips), and I think I'm rocking the Snoopy shirt pretty well :)


No comments:

Post a Comment