Friday, July 31, 2015

DIY Bathroom Cabinet

I think this has been one of my favourite projects so far!

We deperately needed storage in our bathroom, but I find store-bought cabinets for the bathroom to be really expensive. I had seen wooden-drawer shelf ideas on Pinterest, and one day while I was shopping at the Habitat for Humanity Restore, I saw a great wooden drawer and thought, why not make a cabinet out of one? So, I bought the drawer for $5, and when I went home I searched through my old cabinet door stock and found one that was a little bit shorter than the height, and 1-2" shorter than the width.

I removed the hinges from the door and handles from the drawer, and used wood filler to fill the holes. My husband cut some wood we had for shelves, and cut the trim to fit around the opening. he attached them to the wooden drawer with a nail gun (I really need to learn to use the power tools!)
I sanded everything down, put on a coat of primer, and then a couple coats of white paint (I think we used eggshell finish). 

I had been looking at different designs for the phrase "Wake Up And Be Awesome", and figured out one I liked, and painted it on the cabinet door, finishing it of with a coat of clear satin finish spraypaint.
We reused the original hinges on the door to attach it, and used an extra knob we had that matched. Darren attached it to the wall in our bathroom with screws (It took us a couple tries to find the studs in our walls). I'm sooooo happy with how it turned out, and hope that this gives some of you some inspiration on how to make your own :)








No comments:

Post a Comment