Saturday, April 15, 2017

It Is Finished

Today I got my first tattoo.

(probably not where you thought I was going with this post, but stick with me). 

Now, I know tattoos can be a hot-button topic, especially in 'religious' circles: You either love them, or you hate them. They represent artistic expression or rebellion, depending on your upbringing and your life experiences. Personally, I have no real issue with them, and have even recently bought a couple sessions as a gift to my husband who has been patiently waiting years to get some (yes, I know I'm awesome). I've also had lots of ideas in my head about what I wanted my first tattoo to look like, and what it would entail if I ever did decide to get one.

However, I never dreamed ten years ago that I would EVER get the tattoo I got today.

(This post is fairly personal for me, as I am usually very private about these things. However, I've shared about everything else during my surgeries and treatment)

After three years of surgeries and recoveries,  I completed the final stage of my mastectomy and reconstruction journey today with a cosmetic tattoo.   Before 2014, I don't think I even really know that reconstruction tattoos existed. **Fun fact: One of the only bonuses of my reconstruction is that there was no pain from getting the tattoo. It is the most painless procedure I have had so far - the tattooist told me not to get used to that if I was going to get more tattoos haha **

It dawned on me as I booked the appointment, and as the day and time grew closer that I have now reached the end. The final step - that place that seemed so very far off three years ago when I first received my diagnosis was actually here. I had searched around for a while, and finally found the artist who I knew I wanted to do my tattoo. I was so surprised that I could get booked in so quickly, and that she was available when we were visiting my parents for Easter weekend...and on a day when most businesses aren't open. Another reminder of how God has been with me every step of this journey.

I think most everyone is familiar with the breast cancer ribbon (especially in October), but  what you may not know is that there is a breast reconstruction ribbon as well, but it looks a little different. It has two loops because it signifies 'closing the loop on breast cancer'. I know that not all women will choose reconstruction when faced with mastectomy, but I do not regret my decision, and I am so very grateful for the surgeons, and now artist, who have helped me during all of it...and that it is now finished. I pray that even though I have reached 'the end', that God would continue to use me and my story to encourage and lift up other women facing similar circumstances. I am so thankful for those of you who have prayed for and encouraged me.

I don't believe that it was a coincidence that my appointment was booked on Good Friday. And as I repeated the words "it's finished" in my head, I couldn't help but be reminded that those words hold another kind of significance on this day.  This morning during communion I reflected on Jesus' sacrifice on the cross as He bore the sins of the world, and on the last words He spoke before His death. This was the fulfillment of Scripture, and was the reason why He came down to earth. It's a day that we grieve that Jesus had to die, and realize that He did it out of love for us.

John 19:28-30:
"Jesus knew that his mission was now finished, and to fulfill Scripture he said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it up to his lips. When Jesus had tasted it, he said, “It is finished!” Then he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." 

But it didn't end there. Yes, we grieve, but we also celebrate His resurrection three days later. Death has been defeated, and mankind's relationship with God restored through the sacrifice of His Son. It's Friday, but Sunday's coming!

"It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom"

(From: How Deep The Father's Love For Us - Stuart Townsend)







No comments:

Post a Comment