Monday, October 27, 2014

A New Appreciation

I'm facing a new season in my life now. My recovery has been going really well, and I have even joined a program at the YMCA for those who have undergone breast surgery that is supervised by my physiotherapist and breast-health nurse.  We have gotten back into the swing of working on home renovations and improvement. Luella is sleeping a bit better and we no longer need to swaddle her for naps or bedtime (yay!), and potty training Jaelyn is just around the corner. We are also eager to get more invovled in our church and community.

I have additionally realized that for the first time since we've been married (almost 16 years!) I am no longer a bi-vocational Pastor, in that I no longer hold a 'secular' job since I have resigned from my position at the store. I still haven't fully stepped into a 'Pastor' role at the church, either, since I have been recovering from surgery (but I'm sure that will come sooner rather than later...). I have, however, entered the realm of  'Work-at-home-Mom' and have started my own business, so to speak, making signs and decor out of up-cycled material. I have always loved painting and creating things, and I wanted to test the waters of doing this before my Maternity Leave is fully up. I will probably have to do something else as well to help supplement the income I have lost, but I have to say that I have been enjoying myself so much! The response from friends, family and the community has also been incredible :) if you'd like to check out my Facebook page, go here: Mug Half Full Deigns

I have also discovered that trying to start a business is hard work when you have two kids under three! I think through all of this, I have realized how important it is to support those Moms who stay at home with their kids, and who also run a business - whether it is something they make, or it is something they sell, or if it is a business they do out of their own homes.

I have come to the conclusion that, as much as possible, I want the presents that I personally get my girls for Birthdays and Christmas to be from Work-At-Home-Moms, from local small businesses, and even used items from Facebook groups or my favourite used store. My girls don't need the newest toys that are out there,  and I want them to grow up without a sense of entitlement, and with an attitude of Thanksgiving. I believe that this is a good first step. It also helps to support those Moms who are working so hard. I also know how hard moms work who have out of the home jobs, and how saving money is important. Over the next weeks I'll be posting about some of my used findings, and some of the businesses I love to support...maybe it will inspire others to do the same :)

Here are some pics from my first craft sale:



No comments:

Post a Comment