Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Halloween - Challenge Accepted

Do your kids have their costumes yet? Do you? Do you know that it is only 3 days away? No need to panic, or feel depressed when comparing yourself to the Pinterest Moms.  I may not sew, but I do know that If you have paper, double-sided tape, and scissors, you can make almost anything :)

When I was growing up, my mom never bought me fancy costumes for Halloween. We simply made them with what we had around the house, and I loved it. Now, sometimes we would have to get some supplies like make-up or tin-foil, but for the most part it was extremely cheap or even free, or items bought were something we needed anyway. This was the Halloween challenge...what are you going to be, and how can you make it?

I've now made it my personal mission to do the same for my kids (and my husband and I). We did break with tradition last year and use a $3 M&M costume for Jaelyn from the dollar store, but when you can get costumes for that price I think it fits within the challenge.

This year, I looked in Jaleyn's closet and saw a pink dress with black polka dots, which looked like it would work for Minnie Mouse. I added black tights, a larger diaper cover that her sister won't miss, a shoelace for the tail, and sparkly shoes she already owns. I did have to buy a long sleeve black t-shirt for her arms (and it's actually a Batman one), but I'm going to put it on her inside out so she doesn't see and give it to her for Christmas. She also needed a new knit hat, so I had my friend who makes crochet hats make a minnie mouse one for her. Yes, it's spending money, but it is also something she needs and will use throughout the winter....making it still within my boundaries for the challenge. Cost: $7 for the shirt (which will be added to her Christmas presents...it's not made local or by a work at home mom, but unfortunately most kids clothes aren't) and the cost of the hat, which does support a work at home mom.



For Luella, I knew when I saw her red hair that she would be Strawberry Shortcake. She had a big fluffy white dress, and a pink apron-style dress already (reversed colours, but close enough). My sister and I found green and white striped socks at the dollar store, which I made into leggings, and a pink shower cap as well, which i stuck paper pictures of strawberries to with double sided tape. Add three green diamonds to the front of the apron, and voila! A decent costume. Cost: $3 for the socks, shower cap and strawberry muffin cups.


We are attending a party as a family, so I told my husband he should go as a hunter, since he is one. Cost: free

And Me? Well,  in honour of my husband's first deer that he shot yesterday, and to match his costume, I'm going as a deer. I used wire, electrical tape and construction paper to attach ears and antlers to a headband I already had, and used a brown shirt, paper and double-sided tape to make the body. Add a long-sleeve white shirt and brown pants I already own and it's done. Cost: free!



Oh, and the time to make all of these? About 1/2 hour. Pictures of our whole crew dressed up will be added later.

So, are you still struggling to find something? Look around your closets and house, see what you have and get inspired! And share your pictures with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment